Friday, April 3, 2009

When I was eight, my aunt returned from traveling through Asia with a bag of slides. She came over one night and put on a slide show for us, accompanied by a tape she had recorded as she walked through the streets of remote parts of some amazing countries.

Sounds filled our lounge room of streetside sellers, car horns and busses and poeple chattering in languages foreign to me. Arresting images were brought to life with these sounds, and I still remember the sense of wonder that was created in me.

Jonas Bendiksens digital story exploring urban slums reminded me of that night. It's a compelling exploration of fragments of urban slum living. It's fascinating, beautiful and heart breaking all at once. The images are stunning, the people resilient and their stories absorbing.

I strongly suggest taking a look inside this impressive digital story.

No comments: